• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is exercise a drug?

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Interesting article in DiTM on whether exercise is a drug.
(or, possibly more accurately, on the similarities between exercise and drugs):

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=551102

Thought I would put the question out there for y'all:
In your experience, in your philosophies, is exercise a drug?
How are they similar/different?

endorphins give a legitimate high after workout. i suppose having a healthier body and more active lifestyle also give you a nicer feeling than otherwise.

I would say that exerting the human body in some way shape or form is an essential part of maintaining homeostasis whereas a drug is a deliberate unbalancing of homeostasis.

I do drugs so I'm not standing on a podium lecturing here but the two things are fundamentally different from my perspective. Just because an endorphin high is possible and and can create a mild euphoria somewhat similar to using drugs does not mean they are the same. No one actually believes love is a drug or music is a drug despite referring to them in an offhand manner that way sometimes.

exercise is like a drug yes, back when i was running 5 miles a day i would feel amazing after a run sometimes after a really good run i would feel better than i have off taking heroin.

but just like any drug when i missed a workout i would feel so depressed i would literally feel suicidal in the end I literally was running 2-3 times daily clocking approx 70 odd miles a week

i was rediculously skinny, slept like a baby and had the resting heart rate of a sleeping elephant I honestly felt so good and my skin glowed but I was addicted to exercise.

I would say that exerting the human body in some way shape or form is an essential part of maintaining homeostasis whereas a drug is a deliberate unbalancing of homeostasis.

I do drugs so I'm not standing on a podium lecturing here but the two things are fundamentally different from my perspective. Just because an endorphin high is possible and and can create a mild euphoria somewhat similar to using drugs does not mean they are the same. No one actually believes love is a drug or music is a drug despite referring to them in an offhand manner that way sometimes.

Interesting response.
I am not sure if I believe it or not, though.
Is exercise really an attempt at maintaining homeostasis?
Is it not actually an unbalancing of homeostasis?

And I, for one, am currently trying on the philosophical clothes of actually believing music is a drug, for example, along with food and exercise.

Last edited:
Metaphorically, possibly.

Literally, obviously not.

yeah i think it can be for some ppl. i've def used exercise like a drug in the past, still do. for me, exercise always delivers a predictable release but it can get out of hand and do harm if you lose perspective.
-izzy

Exercise is not the drug, it is the method of administration of the drug (endorphins).

Interesting response.
I am not sure if I believe it or not, though.
Is exercise really an attempt at maintaining homeostasis?
Is it not actually an unbalancing of homeostasis?

My response is guided by my work experience. So it leapt to mind when I saw the initial question. To use just one disease as an example people without a history of exercising leads to them becoming progressively more insulin resistant far more rapidly than people that don't. Which leads to diabetes type 2 and the inability of the body to regulate it's own energy supply earlier than it would otherwise. Then premature death. Given this is a progressive disease that will eventually occur to everyone anyway if something else doesn't get them first it seems to me that exercise slows the decline and maintains a homestatic state for longer.

There are heaps of examples like this. Osteoporosis, obesity and some cancers for example. Naturally there are other contributing factors to consider as well.

exercise affects me like a drug (gets me high, causes withdrawal), as does mental "exercise" (i'm a grad student in math, so my work can be very intellectually demanding) and of course sex. but i feel like there are a lot of good reasons to do those things other than feeling good, whereas that's typically the main (if not only) reason one takes drugs. likewise, i think there's a fundamental difference between an activity that makes you feel a certain way and a substance that does.

at the end of the day, however, i intermingle drugs and all three of those things, so it's hard to really make concrete distinctions.

I think that the act of exercising is relative to the act of using drugs addictively. Obviously, working out is a healthy lifestyle choice while drugs most certainly are not. However, it is also common that people become addicted to exercise, overworking their bodies and really taking a toll on their physical and mental health. This can result in extreme weight loss, body image issues, broken bones, and so many other things that hurt your body. Moderation is key for everything!

My response is guided by my work experience. So it leapt to mind when I saw the initial question. To use just one disease as an example people without a history of exercising leads to them becoming progressively more insulin resistant far more rapidly than people that don't. Which leads to diabetes type 2 and the inability of the body to regulate it's own energy supply earlier than it would otherwise. Then premature death. Given this is a progressive disease that will eventually occur to everyone anyway if something else doesn't get them first it seems to me that exercise slows the decline and maintains a homestatic state for longer.

There are heaps of examples like this. Osteoporosis, obesity and some cancers for example. Naturally there are other contributing factors to consider as well.

You have given examples of how exercising results in (a push toward) homeostasis in the body.
However, what about the endorphins released during/after exercise? Is that a push toward homeostasis?
Also, what about the altered state of consciousness achieved when exercising? Are they somehow a push toward homeostasis?

Last edited: